Friday, February 3, 2012

A Few of My Favorite . . . Appetizers!


It seems there is this game on Sunday.  A N D It seems to involve a ball, a bunch of grown men in tight pants running around. A N D  It seems to cause people to gather over food, drinks and fun!

You had me at gather . . . that is so very Jerry McGuire!

I pretty much love anything where gathering with friends and food is involved.  I love a get together, a party, a gathering of friends and I love food.  I am talking fun party food!  I love myself some appetizers!

This year we elected not to host a Superbowl party, probably because we don't even know who is playing.  So, I am a little sad I won't have a chance to try out some new AND really yummy appetizers I recently found online.  I wanted to share these with you.  They are sure to make you the hit of your party! Maybe you will even incorporate these into your usual rotation!


My perspective on party food is simple!  Make it and move on.  I hate having a party where I am tied to the oven, stove top and worse the dishwasher.  The best way to eliminate that and get to enjoy my guest is to make sure my food is:


1 Ready to go - I am a stickler for having the serving pieces already laid out and labeled with post its.  This works for so many reason but especially if someone is able to show up early.  They can help you plate your food without taking you away from what you are doing.  Be ready to feed when they walk through the door.  I usually am prepared to serve as the 4th person walks through the door,  that is generally 12 minutes after party start time!


2 Self Sufficient - I don't want to have to work the buffet line.  Put it out and let them snack on it all day, or fill a plate.  Allowing them to choose when and how they eat makes your guest feel even more at home.  Just wait until they are snoring mid game in your media room!


3 Have a really good cocktail - we are purly social drinkers.  There is no wine with dinner every night here.  Therefore, I insist on a really good/fun cocktail! Margaritas, Daquiries, Sangria, Martini's pick your poison.  Just be sure to have a drink as guest are arriving.  Set the tone for fun!




Hot Corn Dip


Look at that yummy cheesy goodness.  A true genius came up with this!  At this very moment I not only want smell - a - vision I want taste - a - vision!  The corn sauteed makes it sweeter than you might guess.  You could serve this with a warm tortilla or my personal favorite for this dish is a Frito!


BONUS - you could make the dip a head of time and refigerate.  Then when ready to bake pour into a dish, sprinkle some grated cheese on top and wait for this to bubble!  It would also work in a bread bowl for a different presentation.









Homemade Football Peperoni Pizza
 How cute is this?  Sorry, we are talking about some football.  How manly is this?  It is also lots of fun!   You could do the one pizza, as the recipe suggest, or next level this this pizza!  The options are endless . . . you could do personal football peperoni pizzas.  You could do these for the team party at the end of the season, a sleep over,or on any given Sunday, while watching your favorite team (Go Cowboys)!  This is so simple to do, and looks like you put in some real effort! 




Football Peperoni Pizza
Ingredients
1 pizza dough or pre-made crust (you can find my homemade recipe here)
pizza sauce (
you can find my homemade recipe here)
shredded mozzarella cheese
pepperoni
sliced white cheese, cut in strips (I used Swiss cheese)

Instructions
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using fresh pizza dough, bring to room temperature. Spread dough over, or place pizza crust in pizza pan. Add pizza sauce and then cheese. Top with pepperoni, laying it slightly overlapping in the shape of a football.
Place Swiss cheese strips in the middle of your peperoni football to form the laces.
Bake according to pizza dough instructions, or until pizza is lightly browned and cheese has melted.
Read more from Angie on Eclectic Recipes!




Individual Seven-Layer Dip




HOLY GUACAMOLE Batman!  I am loving this.  This works great as a vegeterian option.  Since nothing had to be hot to be served you can bet I would make these a day ahead and save even more time on the day of the event.  This process of building these dips might be tedious, but so worth it.  Your friends are going to love this and having these as indiviual servings means no double dipping.  You know the guy, we all know THAT guy!


Bonus - easy cleanup just throw the cups away.  You also have the added bonus of only needing one type of chip.  This would great with Fritos as well.




Individual Seven-Layer Dips
Makes about 8 individual dips

*Note: All measurements are approximate. Depending on whether you want thicker or thinner layers you will need more or less.
1 (16 ounce) can refried beans

1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning
1 cup guacamole or make homemade guacamole
1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
1 cup chunky salsa or pico de gallo; or make homemade pico de gallo
1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican blend cheese
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch of green onions, sliced
1 (2.25 ounce) can of sliced olives, drained
9 ounce plastic tumblers
tortilla chips

Directions:
In a small bowl mix taco seasoning with refried beans. Some people prefer to mix their taco seasoning with the sour cream layer but I wanted a bright white layer so I did it with the beans.

Here's how the layers are assembled:
Layer 1: beans and taco seasoning
Layer 2: sour cream
Layer 3: guacamole
Layer 4: salsa or pico de gallo
Layer 5: cheese
Layer 6: tomatoes
Layer 7: green onions and olives

In each plastic glass, layer about 2 Tablespoons of the beans, followed by 2 Tablespoons of sour cream, 2 Tablespoons of guacamole, 2 Tablespoons of salsa or pico de gallo, and 2 Tablespoons of cheese. Make sure you drain your salsa or pico to get the excess liquid out before you pour it on. Then top with about 1-2 teaspoons of tomatoes, olives, and green onion (If making ahead of time, wait to add these toppings until shortly before serving).

Garnish with one tortilla chip. Store in the refrigerator until serving and serve with chips. Makes around 8 individual dips.







BonBon of the Vanties
My husband teases me about sitting around all day just eating bonbons.  And secretly I think that would be awesome.  But no need to hunt those sweet drops of ice cream covered in chocolate.  I would sip on this all day long and you can call me guilty!


Just call this dessert! and look at all that fruit in there!! Banana, Peach, Orange!  This is my kinda fruit!


Bonbon of the Vanities
While martini purists may balk, everybody has a sweet tooth, and the Bonbon of the Vanities hits all the stops.

1.7 oz Russian Standard Vodka
.85 oz. banana liqueur
.85 oz. peach liqueur
2.7 oz. orange juice
.33 oz. Grenadine




I do hope you will try some of these mouth watering appetizers and add them into your  repertoire!  Please write back and let me know what you thought! I will be thinking about you on Sunday.  Wishing I was there enjoying the food, fun and fellowship!


Happy Pinning!



No comments:

Post a Comment