Wednesday, January 4, 2012

I think I can . . . I think I can . . .

We all have read the book The Little Train that Could, we all know the story.  A train up against big odds think he can get the job done and he does!  Great moral to the story. It is something I often forget, the power of thinking positive, of believing in yourself!

Recently, Sweet Baby Jake, or SBJ as we call him, turned 4.  We go for the annual check-up where I talk to the Dr. about my concerns. 

My chief concern being SBJ STILL wears a diaper to bed.  He has been potty trained for 1.5 years, but is still in that damn diaper!  Dr. P, who is well along in age, comforts me and says it is not an issue until around six.  AND only an issue then because kids start spending the night with friends and it is more of an embarrassing thing at that!

So, I come home, share with my husband, Goo and Mimi, my mother-in-law, what the Dr. says.  No one is surprised the Dr. isn't concerned.  We were just a little surprised that the range of  "Normal" was up to 6.  No one says another thing about it . . . life goes on.

Fast forward to December 31.  Both of our boys are home, Goo is spending the night.  We are doing a New Year's Eve in, movies, games and so on.  SBJ tells me, "you know if I sleep in my unders I won't pee in my bed."  I said, "Oh, really?  are you sure about that?"  AND HE WAS! 

That night SBJ made up his mind and did it.  Never before had he expressed an interest nor had he ever made such a statement. He had always seemed content with the diaper but today he stood proud, told me his plan and set off to do it.  He thought he could and he did!


Jake believed in himself far more than any of us did.  So, while I am sure you are not in Jake's position, I bet if you believe in yourself you can do great things also.  You can tackle those New Year's Resolutions, even if you have to break a habit of 4 years! 

Jake is rocking some cool undies and hasn't looked back!  What is your success story?

No comments:

Post a Comment